POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : idea for betas expiration : Re: idea for betas expiration Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: idea for betas expiration
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 18 Oct 2007 10:10:01
Message: <web.47176852e2364266c150d4c10@news.povray.org>
"JoergS" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I wanted to download 3.7 because I have a quad CPU, but surprise - no beta
> ;-(
>
> I propose to overlap beta and release date a bit so nobody has to be
> disappointed.
>
> You could even disable the expiary dates if you build some automatic
> patching into the code for the differences between beta and release. So
> transmission of the differences would be small and you could even update
> bug fixes of released POV-rays.
>
> Hope I can test 3.7 soon!
>
> Best regards
> Joerg

Perhaps this can even go hand-in-hand with built in bug reporting.  That way
a few items are addressed:
1) the offending code is readily available and can be forwarded
automatically
2) the resulting error can be forwarded as well
3) bug reporting can continue even after the final release, with patching
allowing for fututre bug fixes not caught during beta testing.
3) in beta testing phases (or even after final release)  bug reports from
discontinued betas (and final releases that haven't been patched) can be
disabled without disabling the program.

Just some thoughts, all this is likely something that wouldn't be feasible
for the current beta phases, but a possibility for future versions (i.e.
POV4)

-tgq