POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IRTC entry revisited : Re: IRTC entry revisited Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:16:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC entry revisited
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 8 Oct 2007 10:45:00
Message: <web.470a4217ae3c8c78731f01d10@news.povray.org>
"alphaQuad" <alp### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> I am speechless.
I'll take that as a positive comment! :)

> Except, how am I going to learn this ghost effect? Please maybe?
Well, it wasn't that easy to be honest. I took the DAZ model, posed it and
exported it as a .obj file. Then I opened it in Blender, plugged any holes
(mainly in the face), shrank it very slightly along its normals, then saved
it as a separate .obj file. Now I have two copies of the mesh, one very
slightly smaller than the other.

Next, I converted them to POV-Ray using PoseRay, and put them together as a
union. The inner mesh was textured a dark blue, and the outer mesh was made
transparent and filled with emitting media. In this way, you get a thin
shell over the mesh surface that is brighter at grazing angles because of
the additional viewing ray length, giving a glowing outline effect.

If desired, the inner mesh can be differenced from the outer mesh, then the
ghost will be fully transparent. Making the mesh fully closed is important,
otherwise holes will show up as saturated by the media colour. It's also
important to scale the mesh along its normals - using scale in POV-Ray will
not work.

The hair was imported into POV-Ray as a separate mesh and completely filled
with the same media.

(there may be a simpler way to do this with clever pigments, but I'm not
sure...)

Bill