POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta updates : Re: Beta updates Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:32:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta updates
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 5 Oct 2007 09:05:00
Message: <web.470635b0705785e8c150d4c10@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > >   And you know, it's possible to have *both* 3.6 and 3.7 at the same time.
> > >
> > Yes but as I won't use 3.7 for the reason stated, that would not make sense.
>
>   So you basically refuse to even try to test your scenes if they work
> with pov3.7 or not? Yes, it makes a whole lot of sense.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

I can't believe we're still going through this yet again (what's that, 23
times this beta?).

I don't see the problem with using 3.6 if you want a stable, tested system.
3.7 is distributed for public beta testing, this should be known by the end
user.  By using the 3.7 betas (especially when not used for beta testing) I
should think that the user should have to accept the consequences related to
it (expiry date, slow release dates, etc.), otherwise use 3.6.

I actually do as Warp suggests here.  I use 3.6 (actually megaPOV for HDR
support) for anything I do right now, but when I have a particular scene or
test set up, I will run it through the beta to see if it kicks out any
problems (especially any HDR items).

After all this, it does look like Chris is finally going to bend to the
constant bombardment of complaints.  I do agree that perhaps there should
be some way to extend the expiry period in the event that a new one hasn't
been released, but, understanding the reasoning behind having the expiry,
it should not be endless or removed completely.

Perhaps codes that unlock it futher (say 1 week or 1 month increments) could
be built in that are released and posted on the beta page only when a beta
expires and is not replaced with a new one?

-tgq