POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : intersection tests : Re: intersection tests Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:29:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: intersection tests
From: honnza
Date: 28 Sep 2007 08:45:00
Message: <web.46fcf5dcacb0bd79a9ce4df50@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Btw, I don't think it's the first recursion level (ie. the rays shot
> from the camera) which consume the majority of the rendering time. The
> majority is consumed by the additional rays spawned recursively from
> the first and subsequent intersecions.
>
>   Even if your idea worked it would only speed up the first recursion
> level, but not the others.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

maybe you could marching squares to get outlines of the objects being
rendered and then only intersect the objects before the seen one.
You can also predict multiple subsequent levels.
As this will already trace most of the pixels you don't have to retrace
those (except for AA).
BTW, implementing marching squares also increases quality of AA because it
misses less subpixel lines (should pixels found to be wrongly antialiased
be retraced if they are a bit of (under-antialiased)?)
Still, I think most of the time is spent not figuring out whether there is
an intersection but where is it (think of parametric surfaces).