POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : intersection tests : Re: intersection tests Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:20:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: intersection tests
From: Bruno Cabasson
Date: 21 Sep 2007 17:20:00
Message: <web.46f434a7acb0bd79803b22820@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Bruno Cabasson <bru### [at] alcatelaleniaspacefr> wrote:
> > I am aware of that, of course. But what happens in our scenes? Does every
> > pixel concern a different object? Certainly not.
>
>   But how can the program know that without actually testing for it?
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

As a first embryonic try for this idea, it might be enough to try to
intersect the previous object that was hit. If success, then time is saved;
if fail, go back to normal process, and no significant time was lost. I
think that statistically (I insist heavily on that word), we can gain
something because most of objects occupy an entire area of the scene, more
or less, even if they are plenty of them.

Bruno.