POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : intersection tests : intersection tests Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:16:13 EDT (-0400)
  intersection tests
From: Bruno Cabasson
Date: 21 Sep 2007 09:20:01
Message: <web.46f3c4a94bcaa1dae8ba46670@news.povray.org>
I take the risk of appearing stupid, but is it possible to make the
assumption that if a ray hits an object, the rays next to it (next pixel
for example, or the next ray shot, or so ...) have a high probability to
hit the same object, thus avoiding useless tree-traversal and intersection
test? Would it be costful: if the test fails, then we go on with the normal
traversal with little overhead, and if success, we save a non neglectable
time?

Is it possible to collect ray-object intersection statistics while shooting
rays and intersecting, in order to make prediction?

    Bruno