POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : RSOCP overkill - various metals : Re: RSOCP overkill - various metals Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:20:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RSOCP overkill - various metals
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 11 Jul 2007 17:10:01
Message: <web.4695465c79bed87b85de7b680@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> I have manipulated a lot of zinc, it's prety soft and usualy hard to polish.
> I've never seen zinc as shiny as your's. It asks for diffuse reflection.

I just used a blanket reflection value of 0.5 on all of them.  (Note that my
chrome isn't shiny enough!)  True, zinc does best with a reflection { 0.1 }
or so.  I've attached a galvanized "thing."  Unfortunately, i don't
remember the exact texture i used.

A zinc coin: http://www.elementsales.com/ebay/gen/ecoins/ec-zn-1_obvrev.jpg
Solid chromium: http://www.elementsales.com/photo/large/rd-cr-23_wf.jpg

> Metals do have an ior, ranging from around 5 up to over 30 and possibly more.
> Just don't ask me HOW metalurgy scientists managed to calculate it... It depend
> on the exact aloy. Set it and use fresnel in the reflection block, it can
> improve the realism, together with variable reflection.

According to the documentation, reflection { metallic } automatically
calculates the Fresnel effect.  Incidentally, i have tried IORs up to
around 200 with Fresnel on non-metallic transparent spheres, and they do
take on an opaque metallic appearance.

> The metals textures in metals.inc have insanely high ambient values (from 0.1 to
> 0.35!).

So i noticed.

> Everybody should replace all the ambient values found by "ambient 0", or
> just remove the ambient entries. Personaly, I find that it give beter results.

I scale down ambient and diffuse as i increase the reflection { } value.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'galvanized.png' (40 KB)

Preview of image 'galvanized.png'