POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More LEGOs... : Re: More LEGOs... Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:14:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More LEGOs...
From: triple r
Date: 1 Jul 2007 16:40:01
Message: <web.468810c5fd71d53fefa9f3280@news.povray.org>
Samuel Benge <stb### [at] THIShotmailcom> wrote:
> triple_r wrote:
> > Inspired by the other post, I thought I'd try my hand at LDRAW.  I was more
> > impressed with the number of pieces than with the interface, but it's still
> > a very well-done program.  Just had to get my bi-monthly POV fix.
> >
> >  - Ricky
>
> Good one. I still prefer the old technic pieces over the newer ones.
>
> How was the memory consumption on this? I've only got 256 megs of RAM. I
> hope it is enough to produce models of the same (or higher) complexity
> shown in your render.
>
> ~Sam

Yeah, they definitely sold out and got away from complex models made of
simple pieces.  I guess I picked a good time to reach adolescence.

As for the RAM usage, I don't have the statistics on hand, but I can tell
you it'd be the radiosity that gets you on this one, not the LEGO's.  I was
very pleased with the POV support.  Most POV export commands spit out a huge
mesh that renders quickly but is impossible to edit.  This one builds all
the pieces individually then assembles the model from copies.  Very easy to
edit.  As far I as I know that translates into relatively efficient RAM
usage too, but I could be way off.  If nothing else, the POV file is 660 kB
so you're not looking at a giant mesh.

 - Ricky