POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ruined : Re: Ruined Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ruined
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 24 Jun 2007 09:05:01
Message: <web.467e6bb9b5692e82fd8b0db80@news.povray.org>
"Kirk Andrews" <kir### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Thank you, those are some useful ideas--I had not thought of using
> heightfields, and is Bill's macro posted in p.b.s.f.?  I didn't see it
> there.

It's in p.g. but that's a good point, I should probably put it in p.b.s.f.
too.

> Ahhh, there's the goal (and I hadn't thought about bird poop, either!).  The
> trick is getting that grime *just* in the recesses.  Samuel Benge has been
> trying to help me figure out how to do that.  If you have any suggestions
> on how that could be done in POV I'd love to hear it.

If you're using an isosurface or other pigment function-based perturbation,
you should be able to use the same pattern to provide texturing - limit
your grime textures to the same regions of the colour map as are used for
the erosion. The other thing you could try is using the un-weathered base
object to define an object pattern - only areas inside the object could
then be textured, i.e. just the weathered sections. I don't know if these
are practical for your purposes...

By the way, that's a very nice image. I thought the periodic horizontal gaps
were supposed to be the edges of individual blocks making up the column, but
the whole aging effect is subtle but realistic.

Good luck with further experiments!
Bill