POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Coffee's On! - My Next CGSphere : Re: Coffee's On! - My Next CGSphere Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coffee's On! - My Next CGSphere
From: Grassblade
Date: 18 Jun 2007 16:00:01
Message: <web.4676e33ffabeec677cef74e30@news.povray.org>
"Allen" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I used to think that as well, but I have gotten lazy over time.  I'll gladly
> take a shortcut.  In order to make something equal to an HDR probe in pov...
> you would have so much code just for the environment.  Then you have to
> model your scene on top of that.  Lots of time...  So, an hdr probe
> simplifies that... you don't need to make the highly detailed scene to get
> a realistic result.
>
> My only problem with them is that it takes so long to download one on
> dialup... I still have yet to experiment with using one.

> ----
> View My Portfolio At
> http://allen.emailnuts.com/
True. And I'll probably give in sooner or later, if I hold on to POV-ray
long enough. However, if as you say, downloading one takes so long, then
you have few probes. Which means you'll be reusing the same ones over and
over. If you went to the admittedly huge trouble of making a realistic
enough environment in POV, you could change significant portions of it when
needed. If done with care, it wouldn't look like you'd be reusing always the
same scene.