POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Coffee's On! - My Next CGSphere : Re: Coffee's On! - My Next CGSphere Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coffee's On! - My Next CGSphere
From: Allen
Date: 17 Jun 2007 17:20:01
Message: <web.4675a535fabeec67793de9de0@news.povray.org>
"Grassblade" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > My latest CGSphere entry (#12) for your approval.
> > Original link: [http://www.cgsphere.com/gallery/details/?submission_id=3288]
> >
> > -tgq
> Unbelievable! Or, rather, very believable!
>
> I'm still new enough to Pov-ray to consider hdr probes cheating, but if this
> is cheating, holy crap, what a beatiful cheat! o.O I guess you've just made
> me slide a notch toward the dark side.

I used to think that as well, but I have gotten lazy over time.  I'll gladly
take a shortcut.  In order to make something equal to an HDR probe in pov...
you would have so much code just for the environment.  Then you have to
model your scene on top of that.  Lots of time...  So, an hdr probe
simplifies that... you don't need to make the highly detailed scene to get
a realistic result.

My only problem with them is that it takes so long to download one on
dialup... I still have yet to experiment with using one.

Good work on the model... looks very realistic.  The metal needs a few
scratches on it... or less turbulence in the normals.  That may make it
look more metal-like.  Other than that... good work!

----
View My Portfolio At
http://allen.emailnuts.com/