POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Invaders From Mars! WIP 1 : Re: Invaders From Mars! WIP 1 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:13:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Invaders From Mars! WIP 1
From: Kenneth
Date: 3 Jun 2007 23:55:01
Message: <web.46638c94d8d38174c2db2ee30@news.povray.org>
William Tracy <wtr### [at] calpolyedu> wrote:

> I'm convinced that it's the combination of the skylight, light/media
> from the explosion, and the clouds behind that make the robot look
> "funny". With the dark clouds, it feels like the blue light is magically
> coming from nowhere, which feels wrong.

Thanks for going into detail. I do see what you're talking about now. The
blue skylight *is* out of place, realistically speaking.  As mentioned,
it's more of an artistic effect.  But it seems to be a jarring effect to
some. That's probably because I made the clouds shadowless, so that the
light wouldn't be blocked; but now it looks like it's coming from a
cloudless sky.  Honestly, I was hoping I could get away with it!  ;-) Oh
well; I may try putting some cloud shadows back in (and toning the blue
light down a bit, as you suggested.)  But I'll also try a render without
that blue, to see the effect.

One thing that's also happening is that the explosion's overall surrounding
media sphere is brightening up part of the smaller Machine, really making
the blue toplight there stand out even more than it was meant to.  Haven't
found a solution to that yet.  But I still have a few ideas to try...

KW