POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Invaders From Mars! WIP 1 : Re: Invaders From Mars! WIP 1 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Invaders From Mars! WIP 1
From: Kenneth
Date: 3 Jun 2007 04:55:02
Message: <web.46628122d8d38174fec187f50@news.povray.org>
"Allen" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Simply amazing Ken!  It seems to me that you have the code and physics
> down... they work really well.  May I add some suggestions though?

LOTS of good suggestions here.

> As earlier stated, the lighting on the distant robot seems too blue.  With
> all the explosions and burning buildings, one would expect there to be no
> atmospheric bluing.

Strangely, I'm not seeing that on my end (other than the bluish skylight.)
I'll take a more critical look there; I must be missing something.  The
explosion DOES have a large, rather subtle(?) media sphere around
it--emission and absorption media, as an overall explosion "glow"--which
may be causing problems.

> In light of the above stated fires, there isn't any smoke in the scene.
> There should be lots of clouds of smoke around.  That shouldn't be too hard
> to create since you already did the fire and explosion smoke.

Actually, there are three dark smoke "plumes" in the background (one of
which is visible behind the smaller Machine.) But I agree, for such a
firestorm, there should be so much smoke as to almost blot out the sky. And
therein lies the problem. :-) I didn't want an all-smoke sky; it would hide
the clouds. Don't want to hide the clouds; they add drama. I'll try and
come up with a better compromise, though.

> There is not any debris on the ground.  Lots of stuff got blown up, but it
> isn't on the ground.  Maybe add some of that to add a better quality to the
> scene.
> I also don't think that everything has been blown up... maybe add some
> charred vehicles or crushed vehicles.

Good idea; hadn't thought of that.

> For the robots themselves... might I suggest chrome for the legs?  And maybe
> a layer of dust from all the stuff they blew up.

In the comic, the Machines have what looks like a metallic gold color
(actually just yellow, with a few suggestive strokes of the pen!) I'm still
searching for just the right blend of color / brightness / reflection /
highlights. Changing one element changes the others; it has been a somewhat
maddening back-and-forth process to zero-in on the right look. But fun and
challenging, of course. :-)

A dust layer would be a good addition (if I can find a way to do it without
obscuring the burning city too much.) Another challenge!

Ken W.