POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : modern building - wip 1 : Re: modern building - wip 1 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:24:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: modern building - wip 1
From: nemesis
Date: 1 Jun 2007 22:40:01
Message: <web.4660d807bbfc19b89fe13f7a0@news.povray.org>
Fred <pro### [at] ifrancecom> wrote:
> The reflection of the clouds on the left building is awesome!

hmm, to tell the truth I've been experimenting with a lot of different
reflection schemes, with fresnel.  Apparently, I misunderstood the exponent
usage from the manual:  it should be 1 or lower and even so, it's just
artistic license.

I thought in this one the reflection was a tad off but I liked the image
anyway.  This is why I'm going for a radically different direction in the
next WIP. :)

> I am less
> convinced by the right building, where each window seems to use a
> different material. Is that the case, or is it just the normal effect of
> clouds / landscape reflection?

The texture is just this:
         pigment { rgb .1*y }
          normal { average
              normal_map {
                  [1 quilted .07 control0 .06 control1 .06 scale 2]
                  [.5 cells scale 2 slope_map {[0 .1][.7 .1][.7 0][1 0]}]
              }
          }

and reflections of a cloudy sunny sky.

It's because of the cells pattern in the normal.  I intended to simulate
slightly, just slightly offset mirrored windows, but the effect came as to
much.  I should have used a lower (default there) bump_size or tweaked the
slope_map a lot more.

Anyway, next WIP coming soon with improved geometry and texturing. :)