POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Invaders From Mars! WIP 1 : Re: Invaders From Mars! WIP 1 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:27:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Invaders From Mars! WIP 1
From: Kenneth
Date: 29 May 2007 01:15:02
Message: <web.465bb4f5d8d381745bd27f590@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> wrote:

> realistic. It looks like hydrocarbons flaring off. The burning town is so

Thanks!! (And I like that description--'flaring hydrocarbons'. Great!)

The "halo" above the rising gasoline fire in the center is one of the few
things in the scene that's not 3-D. I didn't want to use media to get that
effect, so I rendered the 3-D gas fire just by itself, against blue (like a
bluescreen), then took that into Photoshop, made high-contrast B&W artwork
of it, blurred that, turned it into an alpha-channel, then re-applied it in
POV-Ray to a thin box, as an image_map.  The box is placed behind
the real gas fire in the scene, and lit only with colored ambient light.
Kind of a cheat, eh? :-)

KW