POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Invaders From Mars! WIP 1 : Re: Invaders From Mars! WIP 1 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Invaders From Mars! WIP 1
From: Kenneth
Date: 29 May 2007 00:35:01
Message: <web.465bad01d8d381745bd27f590@news.povray.org>
> Amazing! The time and effort you've put into this shows through in its sheer
> quality. The colours are great, vibrant 50s pulp bursts from the image, and
> I agree, keep the magenta tripod 'eyes'!
> And that explosion! A superb piece of work.
> I honestly have nothing more to suggest... it looks as finished a piece of
> work as I've ever seen :-)

Thank you, Bill; VERY much appreciated.

> The reason the tripod in the
> distance on the left looks a little weirdly lit is because it's standing
> right over the fires, am I right? If so, keep it as it is, leisurely
> examination will reveal this to the attentive viewer.

Yes indeed!  Happy to know you caught that.  It was a fluke, really; I
didn't plan to do it. I happened to place that Machine in the distance
thinking it was still *in front of* the fire.  But when I saw the result, I
said "Oh YEAH!" And it just happened that one of the tentacles was behind
the buildings. Serendipity!

BTW, in case it isn't screamingly obvious, the buildings are just an
image_map, a piece of Photoshop silhouette artwork with an alpha-channel.
But it's applied to a bumpy procedural height_field (the bumps face -z.)
The HF is positioned so that  *some* of the bumpiness actually *pokes
through* a thin, textured "fire box" that  bisects the middle of the HF--to
make it look like flames are not just behind the "buildings", but are
licking around and through them.  I was kind of proud of that!

Ken W.