POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Invaders From Mars! WIP 1 : Re: Invaders From Mars! WIP 1 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:26:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Invaders From Mars! WIP 1
From: Kenneth
Date: 29 May 2007 00:10:01
Message: <web.465ba6f3d8d381745bd27f590@news.povray.org>
"kike" <dry### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Is it only made with POV? fantastic!!!

Yep, all done in v 3.6.1c (plus Photoshop, to make a few image_maps.)  I
*should* have taken the time to learn MORAY (or RHEINGOLD, or a similar
app) before starting this scene--it would have cut the long development
time in half, easily.

>I love fire at the background, it would be great if you explain how to get that
awesome effect!!!

There are eleven different "levels" to the distant fire, each a thin box
with a texture applied, and placed one behind the other. Basically 2-D
artwork, with see-through areas. The *basic* fire texture is a
red-to-yellow-to-red gradient x color_map (with transparency on either
side) with a high *frequency* to repeat it across the box, then with some
turbulence to break it up a bit. That texture is then combined--in a
gradient y pigment_map--with a completely transparent pigment, so that the
flames fade out at the tops of the boxes.  Looks kind of crude in close-up,
but at a distance looks fine.

> I read that book long ago and made me think of drawing something in pov. But
> I thougth of tripods as "jointed" machines and something more dirty, like
> old machines, more like 19th century trains.

Some of the early-20th-century artistic depictions of Wells's war machines
do indeed look like old boiler-plate technology, with lots of do-dads and
rivets and such. A reflection of the Industrial Age technology at the time,
I suppose.  Luckily for me, the comic book art has relatively simple shapes,
that are easier to model! I suppose one reason they were drawn that way was
because the artist was on a deadline!  ;-)

Ken W.