POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Invaders From Mars! WIP 1 : Re: Invaders From Mars! WIP 1 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:16:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Invaders From Mars! WIP 1
From: Kenneth
Date: 26 May 2007 04:25:02
Message: <web.4657ee8ad8d381749dafebf60@news.povray.org>
"scam" <sca### [at] mailusydeduau> wrote:
> Not that I've done an exhaustive survey... but that is hands down the best
> explosion I've seen done using POV-Ray.

<*blush*>  Thank you!! Though I'm honestly not sure if it's too *busy*--too
MANY smoke trails. The explosion is the one element I keep revisiting every
couple of days(!), fiddling with it, living with the image for a day or two,
then fiddling with it some more. ALL parts of it. Getting a completely
*organic* look is what I'm after--an elusive goal, it seems,  "just out of
reach." But I keep trying! If I can just nail down a look--and a
methodology--that I'm completely happy with--NIRVANA! :-)

> And definitely keep the magenta glass in the tripods. That with the green
> lasers adds a lot to the comic book style effect. You've done a great job
> harmonizing all the different elements, very impressive.

Much appreciated.

>The only constructive criticism I have is that the ground looks a
> little funny, kind of grainy and a bit too bright. Great job
> though, love it.

I kind of *forgot* about the ground texture. (That's what happens when you
look at the same thing constantly!) It's still the test texture I applied
so long ago--actually a brick wall image_map (!), completely distorted.
Thanks for bringing this up; I'll work up something different.

Ken W.