POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Invaders From Mars! WIP 1 : Re: Invaders From Mars! WIP 1 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:17:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Invaders From Mars! WIP 1
From: Kenneth
Date: 26 May 2007 04:05:01
Message: <web.4657e945d8d381749dafebf60@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
> Kenneth,
> It is an awesome picture, really, and you absolutely captured the 50's mood.

Thanks, Thomas! I still need to add *something* (other than the burning
buildings) to give the scene a 19th-century flavor--the time period of the
novel, I believe. With the buildings, I was hoping that they didn't look too
*modern*--no skyscrapers, etc.  But I'm curious as to how they come across.

> Yes, that 'gravity'thing seems a bit disturbing and unatural, but could be
> put under the head "artist's licence" :-)

Yeah, I think that some decelleration would give it more reality.  BTW,
there are a couple of films out there that have *excellent* explosions to
study. My favorite right now is A BRIDGE TOO FAR (a World War II story.)
They pulled out all the stops with the awesome pyrotechnics.

> I think that what is missing, are a pair of small figures running in the
> foreground. Preferably one male, one female of course, again in the mood of
> the 50's pulp.

You're definitely better at that than I am!  :-)  I wouldn't know where to
put 'em, or what kind of pose they should have.  Suggestions?

At one point, I actually thought of changing the entire "feeling" of the
scene--by putting a small figure of a man in a dinner jacket, with a pipe,
sitting in his evening chair, reading the novel! In his study, but with the
walls of the study fading out--so that the larger scene is entirely in his
imagination.  That would have been interesting (to say the least!)

Ken W.