POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Invaders From Mars! WIP 1 : Re: Invaders From Mars! WIP 1 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:13:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Invaders From Mars! WIP 1
From: nemesis
Date: 25 May 2007 14:10:02
Message: <web.465725cfd8d38174773c9a3e0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> H.G. Wells's WAR OF THE WORLDS has always been a favorite of mine,

can it not be? :)

> Trying to copy comic book art in 3D is an exercise in compromise.  I found
> that the various depictions of the Machines changed--sometimes
> radically--from panel to panel in the comic.

that's why 2D is so much easier:  you don't have to carefully detail all the
greebles in gigantic spaceships, just suggest them with a fill crossed lines
here and there.  Attention to detail is essential for quality 3D renders
though...

> The explosion started out, long ago,  as ALL media...hundreds of individual
> media-filled spheres--which was taking forever-and-a-day to render. Had to
> switch to a different scheme (and to my faster PC!) Much less media now;
> lots of textured spheres instead, for the various smoke trails. And simple
> textured boxes for the little smoke "tendrils" under the flying embers.

one couldn't tell, really!  Very clever!

> No gravity effect yet... I *could* say that the explosion is
> at the "moment of detonation," before gravity and air resistance have had a
> chance to show themselves.  ;-)

it works that way.

> Any critiques and suggestions welcome.

I can't think of anything other perhaps that the warmachines metal textures
could have a bit less diffuse and more brilliance, as well as more metallic
reflection.  The explosion and city in flames are wonderful and the mood and
color is indeed very 50's comic book style!  Great work!