POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Wood screws, redux : Re: Wood screws, redux Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:15:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wood screws, redux
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 17 May 2007 10:10:02
Message: <web.464c611a4ef76416c150d4c10@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Trevor G Quayle <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > A shiny, denty, rusty, dusty chrome:
>
>   Nice, but doesn't look too good on the screwdriver:

You're right, it didn't come out too well for you.  Try removing the dust
layer and scaling down the rust layer.  You can also try adjusting other
aspects of the rust layer too like pattern type (though I think granite
looks the best from what I've tried), normals and the colour_mapping.

Also, as I said before, for materials such as this, it's all about what is
there to be reflected.  An empty background will result in flat,
unconvincing reflections I find.  This is why I've started using a lot of
environment mapping.  I used to be a true purist and not want to use it,
but I have found that it's a lot easier than modelling a whole scene just
to show off one little object (also it stems from the development of the
lighting macro I posted recently)

Have a look at this image.  The top is rendered with just a black background
and a textured plane (with a single point light).  The bottom simply adds an
environment map (plus the associated scene lighting).

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'rustychrome.jpg' (644 KB)