POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Wood screws, redux : Re: Wood screws, redux Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:19:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wood screws, redux
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 16 May 2007 14:15:02
Message: <web.464b491d4ef76416c150d4c10@news.povray.org>
"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> > aaglo wrote:
> > > - metal texture on the screws & screwdriver
> >
> >   I have to admit that I have no idea how to make a realistic-looking
> > metallic texture for the screwdriver...
>
> If you want a reflective clean metal, like crome or polished stainless
> steel, the material is basically defined by what it reflects.  Using
> environment mapping and real reflections rather than phong or specular
> highlighting (which tend to look more plasticky) can help considerably.
> You can also overlay a simple reflective chrome with layers of grease,
> dust, dirt, rust etc and still have the reflectivity partially revealed.
>
> -tgq

A shiny, denty, rusty, dusty chrome:

#declare TChrome=
texture{
  pigment{rgb 0.8}
  finish{ambient 0
    conserve_energy
    diffuse 0.0
    reflection{0 1 fresnel on metallic 0}
  }
  normal{dents 0.25 scale 1/15}
}

#declare TRust=
texture{
  pigment {
    granite
    color_map {
      [0.08 rgb <0.89, 0.51, 0.28>]
      [0.15 rgb <0.70, 0.13, 0.00>]
      [0.30 rgb <0.69, 0.41, 0.08>]
      [0.30 rgb <0.49, 0.31, 0.28>]
      [0.40 rgb <0.89, 0.51, 0.28>]
      [0.40 rgbt 1]
    }
  }
  finish {ambient 0 diffuse 0.4}
  normal{
    granite
    normal_map{
      [0.40 average normal_map{[1 granite -0.3][1 granite 0.2 scale 1/5]}]
      [0.40 granite 0]
    }
  }
}

#declare TDusty=
texture{
  pigment{

    #declare PW=1;
    slope y
    color_map{
      [pow(0.5,PW) rgbt 1]
      [1.0 rgbt <0.40784, 0.39216, 0.18431,0.1>]

    }
    poly_wave PW
  }
  finish{