POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Wood screws, redux : Re: Wood screws, redux Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:26:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wood screws, redux
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 16 May 2007 13:05:01
Message: <web.464b397f4ef76416c150d4c10@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> aaglo wrote:
> > - metal texture on the screws & screwdriver
>
>   I have to admit that I have no idea how to make a realistic-looking
> metallic texture for the screwdriver...

If you want a reflective clean metal, like crome or polished stainless
steel, the material is basically defined by what it reflects.  Using
environment mapping and real reflections rather than phong or specular
highlighting (which tend to look more plasticky) can help considerably.
You can also overlay a simple reflective chrome with layers of grease,
dust, dirt, rust etc and still have the reflectivity partially revealed.

-tgq