POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cloudscape experiment. : Re: Cloudscape experiment. Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:25:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cloudscape experiment.
From: Bruno Cabasson
Date: 15 May 2007 18:55:01
Message: <web.464a391f2a123e12386fe4280@news.povray.org>
Florian Brucker <tor### [at] torfboldcom> wrote:
> Wow! Artifacts aside, this looks very good, both in terms of realism and
> artistic means. I'm looking forward to more of this!
>

> Keep up the good work,
> Florian

Thanks for encouragements. I'll keep on this track until I get something
satisfactory yet versatile and user-friendly. The fact that POV lacks
specific features for clouds (we must use the general-purpose media feature
with user-specified density) forces us to use either a built in pattern and
make a heavy trial/fail process to get acceptable results, or find a
magical function{} for the density (which I can imagine for single clouds,
but wich cannot in no case be suitable for entire cloudscapes).

Whatever you can do, good clouds = many samples = looooooooong render time
(I usually get between 5 and 30 pps). But until some specialized shader is
build-in, this is the price to pay for near-realistic results. We must do
with what we have, and with POV we have a lot, a big lot. Thanks again to
all contributors and all talented people here who spend time for us to
learn and improve.

    Bruno