POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Making clothes in Poser - Take 3 : Re: Making clothes in Poser - Take 3 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:24:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making clothes in Poser - Take 3
From: Janet
Date: 11 May 2007 14:40:01
Message: <web.4644b850ebdace049b0ab520@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
> "Mike the Elder" <zer### [at] wyanorg> schreef in bericht
> >
> > It all seems to be working pretty well, especially the poncho texture
> > which
> > gives the impression of a particularly tactile fabric. (Definitely a REAL
> > poncho and not a SEARS poncho) The shadow cast on the face by the hat
> > helps
> > to add drama to the character.
>
> Yes, until now, not too difficult. A couple of puzzles I had to solve but
> overall, pretty straightforward.
> I like making textures. I looked up a couple of classic poncho ones and then
> just experimented with PSP. I may finetune the weave texture and maybe
> separate it from the main one in order to use it as a bump map or a
> displacement map (hm... that last one would need a much finer mesh however
> than the one used for the poncho already).
>
> I am still puzzled by the "aspect" of the figure's skin which looks a bit
> corpse-like, while it is fairly naturalistic. It is something with the
> lighting in POV, or the export through Poseray, or something else
> altogether... Also, this seems to be particularly visible in Poser 7 maps,
> but much less in earlier versions.
>
> And there is still the matter with the use of radiosity  :-(  In this
> particular image, bright artefacts appear below the eyes, even with fairly
> HQ radiosity settings. I don't like that!
>

> >> The result: Clive Westwood, in the movie "The tall, the tiny and the
> >> average" (music by Elio Mascarpone)...
> >
> > Wasn't he the same guy in "A Fist Full of Downloads"?  :-)
> >

> Yes indeed! As also in "For a Few Downloads More".
>
> Thomas

Hey Thomas, your dynamic cloth poncho is looking good! I can never quite get
the hang of the Poser Cloth room, its not the easiest thing.
I'd use a bump map image. By the time the displacement map starts to look
good, you'd have a huge mesh that would take forever to load and I don't
think it would buy you much.
Out of curiosity, would you be willing to post the face skin material?

Janet
http://parrotdolphin.deviantart.com/