POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Is this a bug? : Is this a bug? Server Time
2 May 2024 09:04:11 EDT (-0400)
  Is this a bug?
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 8 May 2007 15:15:01
Message: <web.4640cb2fed94f1b46de1e3230@news.povray.org>
I think I've discovered a bug in the output of Targa files under windows XP.

I'm currently writing a small command line utility to work with .tga files
created in POV, and I've been trying to test some of the lower-level
functions by having it print out a list of files in a given directory and
show the type-code (2 or 10 for POV output) their bit-depth, and
resolution.

The documentation states that I can force POV to output targa files by using
the command line flag +Fxn, so I've been trying it with +FT8, +FT16, +FT24,
and +FT32, but no matter what depth I specify, POV always outputs a 24-bit
targa file.

I tried creating other bit-depths in Photoshop, and those work fine.  Also,
the 32-bit (w/ alpha channel) render I ported over from my Macintosh reads
the correct depth.

Any input you can provide on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

ADB