POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Playing with radiosity : Re: Playing with radiosity Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:14:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Playing with radiosity
From: scam
Date: 3 May 2007 09:15:01
Message: <web.4639df88e2c4640fdb039c4d0@news.povray.org>
Paul Fuller <pgf### [at] optusnetcomau> wrote:

> There are definitely some possibilities for giving games a ray-traced
> like appearance without actually calculating everything dynamically.
> You are limited though by the combinatoric explosion that happens if you
> want to support too much with this method.

Thanks for posting the code Paul, I hadn't heard of BlitzMax before but it
looks like it will be fun to play with. They even offer a trial of the
software, so I've been able to compile your code myself.

Even with the various limits I think you could still use your approach to
make a cool little platformer or something. Each level could be a single
window, and the protagonist could be exploring a dark world with an area
light source (like a lantern or a burning torch). With some focal blur,
area lights and radiosity I think you could create a really cool, unique
visual style.