POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Playing with radiosity : Re: Playing with radiosity Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:11:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Playing with radiosity
From: scam
Date: 3 May 2007 00:40:02
Message: <web.46396779e2c4640f5897f1740@news.povray.org>
Paul Fuller <pgf### [at] optusnetcomau> wrote:
> Nice images.
>
> I wrote a little program to combine the three images dynamically
> depending upon the mouse position on the screen.  It uses a very simple
> and not quite correct method but the results are interesting.
>
> Sort of simulates varying the intensity of any of the three lights.
>
> Unzip to a directory and run the exe.

That is interesting, I wonder how far you could push this trick?

I'm thinking out loud here, but bear with me. Lets say each image was 50KB,
and you loaded the images into the fast RAM on a video card. With 100MBs of
RAM you could have 2000 total images in memory, or alternatively your scene
rendered with the lightsource placed at each point of a 45 by 45 grid. You
would only need to sample the three or four images with the closest
lightsource to simulate light positions between grid points, so it seems
like computationally it would be feasible. With the use of an adaptive grid
you could simulate real-time radiosity with all the bells and whistles in
extrememly complex scenes.

So... any chance you could share your code?