POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Ubuntu?? : Re: Ubuntu?? Server Time
1 Jun 2024 23:56:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ubuntu??
From: nemesis
Date: 23 Apr 2007 00:35:01
Message: <web.462c372953ebc795a28ce36b0@news.povray.org>
"Jim Holsenback" <jho### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Has anyone had any experience with Ubuntu's version of Linux?

I've been running Ubuntu since at least 3 iterations.  I'm still running the
older Hoary Hedgehog or something like that.  I actually tried more recent
iterations but I have all my favorite apps and utilities installed already
and don't have broadband, so... plus, it still runs as fine as ever and I'm
not really enthusiastic about flashy stuff like 3D translucent desktops and
whatnot.

I guess Ubuntu is one of the most accessible desktop Linux ever.  But I've
still had a fair bit of command-line fun for setting up such things as
dial-up connection:  it's targetted at broadband people and forgot old hags
like me... :P

My povray setup involves typing the scenes in vi (syntax highlight, word
completion, keyboard macros etc) and calling my custom povscript from the
shell to render the scene.  Fast and lean...

It's a good alternative to get away from the M$ blackhole.