POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray v3.7.beta.20b available. : Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.20b available. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:21:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.20b available.
From: Charles C
Date: 16 Apr 2007 02:20:01
Message: <web.46231466a7156db82f60260@news.povray.org>

>   Secondly, there is now an 'alternate render file' feature. This is
>   intended to make things easier when editing macro or include files.
>   While it is possible to use SDL to detect whether a macro/include file
>   is being rendered directly and to pull in supporting code, that approach
>   is not very flexible.
>
>   The alternate render file feature allows a render to be started on an
>   include file, and instead of the include file being rendered directly
>   (as would have happened previously), the source file that most recently
>   included that file in a render will be rendered instead. Note that by
>   'source file', we mean either a .POV or .INI file.
>
>   For this feature to work, you need to have rendered a file which
>   includes the target file during the current editing session (the
>   association between include files and source files is not persisted when
>   POVWIN exits). Additionally you need to have requested to render a
>   source file which does not have the .POV or .INI extension. When you
>   request the render, a message box will appear asking you what to do. You
>   can choose to render the alternate file this time only, to render the
>   alternate file each time you render this one, or to render this one each
>   time (i.e. disable the alternate file option).
>
>   In all cases, the choice you give only persists for the current editing
>   session; it is not restored when you re-launch POVWIN. This is by
>   design.

I think this sounds like it'll be a good time saver for going back and forth
working on those includes!    I have quite a few include-files which are
encompassed by a big #ifndef(whatever)#include "themainfile.pov" #else
[else parse this file] #end.   For making self-demo-ing includes I do think
something like main_scene_file as a string constant or binary would still be
really handy.

Charles