POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Looking to the future : Re: Looking to the future Server Time
3 May 2024 11:29:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Looking to the future
From: gregjohn
Date: 30 Mar 2007 21:05:01
Message: <web.460dc0d6e1b965b234d207310@news.povray.org>
"Dorlindel" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> Above all, what i love in Ray Tracing is photorealism. The more realistic it
> looks, the best it is.

On some youtube animation a guy was interspersing a whole bunch of 2D images
with some obvious "real footage" with apparently some of his own
photorealistic 3D. And then I guess you were supposed to be impressed with
the 3D based on the introduction-- I think it was a portfolio reel. But
either there was verrrry little 3D or it was verrrry photorealistic. In
either case the viewer was left wondering what was 3D in a /bad/ way.

I hate photorealism. If you are going to the trouble of making perfect
photorealism, go get a camera.  Someone out there has an exhaustively
photorealistic picture of a freeway in 3D.  To the overwhelming majority of
folks who see the image (i.e., those who aren't told beforehand that it's
3D), he has bored them to death. He fails to enlighten and lift up and
entertain.

What I love is work that suggests photorealism from another universe with
plausible physics. It is true to the consequences of those physics, but it
doesn't look like a photo taken here.