POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Radiosity and layers with transmit : Re: Radiosity and layers with transmit Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:20:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity and layers with transmit
From: Bruno Cabasson
Date: 6 Mar 2007 10:55:00
Message: <web.45ed8dafcf27660af5fba6ef0@news.povray.org>
> "Bruno Cabasson" <bru### [at] alcatelaleniaspacefr> wrote:
> > read the documentation and I did not see a specific max_trace_level in the
> > radiosity section, but rather adc_bailout, which is closely related. I
> > tried to tweak this parameter from 1 to 1e-5), but the problem remains.
>
> Yes, despite some obscure Google references to max_trace_level in
> radiosity{}, it appears that I am in fact talking out of my backside. There
> is no such setting.
>
> However, I conducted some experiments with an upturned glass bowl and
> radiosity lighting. It would appear that both max_trace_level and
> recursion_limit must be set high enough for the lighting to behave
> correctly. Try adjusting the latter upwards...
>
> Bill

I am currently looking at the POV source code (radiosit.cpp) and trying to
understand what may happen (presence of thresholds ...). There is indeed a
Radiosity_Trace_Level variable in radiosit.h which seems to be initialized
to 1.

My recursion_limit is 3 and max_trace_level is 20, so it should be OK. It
must be something else... Still looking and experimenting. Thanks for your
attention!

    Bruno