POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fire Hydrant : Re: Fire Hydrant Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fire Hydrant
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 1 Mar 2007 11:40:00
Message: <web.45e7011ce2d34dc3c150d4c10@news.povray.org>
> Excellent entry! I like this better than the buoy, and almost as much as the
> clockwork orange. It has that simplicity and adherence to the rules that
> marks out the better CGSpheres, and the utter realism of the textures and
> lighting give it a real edge.

Thank you very much.

I do like to adhere to the rules, specifically keeping the grid as is, a lot
of entries seem to bend this rule considerably and I guess are allowed to
(even the rules state repeatedly that the grid plane and texture is not to
be changed)
I occasionally give myself a little leeway on the sphere shape.
Marioshrooms only uses the top half of the sphere, OrangeClock and
Clockwork Orange are only roughly sphere shaped, Saturn has the proper
height, but I wanted to maintain proper proportions of the planet, so the
equator is larger, making the sphere somewhat oblate, and Gyroscope only
implies the sphere.

> My own entry (progressing slowly, I'm sorry to say) will probably break the
> rules quite severely!
>
> I too wouldn't mind knowing which entries were made with POV-Ray - it seems
> that we come under the 'Other' renderer category...
>
> Bill

Hope to see what you've got soon.  Feel free to post WIP if you need ideas
or criticism.

-tgq