POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [Suggest] Multipass render feature : Re: [Suggest] Multipass render feature Server Time
17 May 2024 05:53:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [Suggest] Multipass render feature
From: Agustin Britait Molina
Date: 21 Feb 2007 22:20:00
Message: <web.45dd0b56edc975678e5923000@news.povray.org>
"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Perhaps I'm mistaken in the way max_trace_level works or what you are
> proposing, but I don't know if this would be effective.  Max_trace_level is
> just a way of specifying a maximum number of refractions/reflections per ray
> to limit infite (or too large number) of refraction/reflection.  Howver,
> this is an upper bound and is only used if needed.  If a ray terminates
> before max is reached, it terminates, no further level is needed or used.
> Essentially it already does what I understand you are suggesting.
> -tgq

max_trace_levels not only works on mirrors, I understand ur example, but in
some cases, a high trace level slow the render, and the difference in final
result with high/low trace levels are minimal, some error dots, eliminate
these dots need great ammount of time render, could save it with some
multipass options

Please take a view to this topic:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.45dbe0082f42fd2caa2e049f0%40news.povray.org%3E/

The final result surely differs of a full slow render in one pass, but the
saved time make this aceptable.

In other side, max_trace_level are not the only parameter susceptible to
change... cameras, we can add a set of clip&offset options to make a render
of multiples images in a unique image, like a four-view template of a model
(top-side-front-perspective views), maybe a two-view of a model
before/after applying a change, multipass have many aplications