POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Raining (again) : Re: Raining (again) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:11:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Raining (again)
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 19 Feb 2007 12:05:00
Message: <web.45d9d88cdc954664c150d4c10@news.povray.org>
Paul Fuller <pgf### [at] optusnetcomau> wrote:
> I like it.

Thanks for the comments.

> One thing that looks off to me is that there is no sense of depth to the
> big raindrops.  If it is raining right through the scene then I'd expect
>   fewer large close drops and more of diminishing size in the mid and
> far background.
>
> It looks like two populations of raindrops with nothing between them.

You may be a bit right on that.  The drops on the 'camera' are almost double
the size of the raindrops and the raindrops are cut-off little ways from the
location of the camera drops (camera at -201.5, drops -180, rain ~160).

> Having said that I have to applaud the water surface and the small beads
> of water on the sphere.

Thanks, the water took a little bit of work and inspiration to get the
raindrops (hint: crackle+form <1,0,0>+frequency).  The basic water surface
is f_ridged_mf as has been used before by others in the NG.

For the drops on the buoy itself, I had to come up with a nice method to
give me a good random spread over over any 3D surface.  Trace wasn't giving
me what I wanted, so if anyone is interested, I can post my method (it's
nothing too fancy)

-tgq