POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dandelions : Re: Dandelions Server Time
6 Aug 2024 12:25:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dandelions
From: Abe
Date: 31 Dec 2006 21:55:00
Message: <web.459876fa297df0d4c3a577a00@news.povray.org>
"George Pantazopoulos" <go### [at] tomyaboutpage> wrote:
> "Abe" <bul### [at] taconicnet> wrote:
> > Still trying to work on a basic but flexible methodology for building a
> > landscape scene.
> >
> > Critical comments welcome.
> >
> > Abe
>

> Beautiful image! I like your grass and dandelions! Your terrain looks
> remarkably of the quality that Project Tierra can produce, which is quite
> high.
>
> This tells me that there's already some good work in Jamie Vives Piqueres'
> Project Tierra that you might not want to duplicate, but you could add your
> own beautifying enhancements to it. One major thing you could add to Project
> Tierra is your plant system. I've been wishing for something like this for
> a while, to take the world depicted in my Clean Slate image to the next
> level...
>
> Project Tierra: (see Galleries section, as well as front page news)
> http://www.ignorancia.org/
>
> Rock on,
> George
>
> ---
> MegaPOV XRS (Extreme Render System): Tap into the computing power of
> parallel universes!
> http://www.gammaburst.net/xrs

Thanks for the feedback.

to landscape scenery in Tierra significantly from what I am working on.

To be more specific, Project Tierra is fundamentally oriented towards
automated procedural generation of (isosurface) landscapes within POV. On
the other hand, what I was exploring was the basic methodology involved in
building a decent looking landscape from scratch. This included the basic
scene structure, basic lighting of the landscape (not just one light for
the sun), texturing (including texture transitions), and atmosphere. (The
vegetation was actually outside the initial framework that I was
considering.)

and while the output is in large part a function of the renderer, I also
feel there is something to be said about the manner in which the scene

Abe