POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : CSG Fonts - A New Idea? : Re: CSG Fonts - A New Idea? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 12:23:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSG Fonts - A New Idea?
From: Randall Sawyer
Date: 1 Dec 2006 15:40:00
Message: <web.45709316eaed41c07cac52a50@news.povray.org>
"nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> CSG fonts are a long time povray tradition. :)  see the recent warp's yes/no
> thread...
> I've also changed the csg_text as follows, and it works just fine, even for
> empty strings -- returns an empty union -- or single letters... the #if
> looked kinda redundant...

Thanks again, nemesis.

To others reading this thread: go ahead and make the same change nemesis
made.
The next time I release the same file, the change will already be made by
me.

Since folks have already been making CSG fonts, then what I would really
like to address is the adoption of a standard for the fonts and for the
formatting tools.  That way the fonts and the tools would be easily
interchangeable.

1) I feel that each standardized font should be complete (ascii 32 - 126 for
U.S. fonts).  If your native language is something other than USA English, I
would like to know what your definition of a complete CSG font would be.

2) Have the default CSG font format emulate the font-based 'text{}' objects
as much as possible.  I feel that that will facilitate conceptual
ease-of-use.  For example, if someone writes a text-intensive scene using
'text{}' and then decides to switch to CSG font, then s/he wouldn't have to
do a lot of reformatting of their scene.

-Randall

BTW, nemesis:
I appreciate your feedback.  I have been a povver-in-isolation for quite a
while.  I only got DSL at home in October.  I am eager to exchange ideas
and work with others in the POVRay community.  So far, I don't know any
others except through this site.  Thanks again. -Randall