POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : NOISE BLOBS FOR THE CRESTS OF OCEAN WAVES : Re: NOISE BLOBS FOR THE CRESTS OF OCEAN WAVES Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:28:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NOISE BLOBS FOR THE CRESTS OF OCEAN WAVES
From: Kenneth
Date: 28 Nov 2006 12:10:00
Message: <web.456c6cd0d6d04fcfb5347a330@news.povray.org>
"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote:
> I still think this wouldn't solve my problem, all it does is add noise on
> top of the controlling function, so you still get sharp edges.
>
> You should render the close up with a lower camera position, so it has a
> more edge-on view of the sharp edge, at the moment the sharpness is mostly
> round the edge of the blobs so you can't really tell how sharp/smooth it is.

Yes, I see your...point.  ;-)

Here's a close-up view of image #3, "in the curl," to try and show the true
nature of what's going on. The noise does indeed come to a sharp point as
it reaches the tips of the triangle waves. You're right. But then it comes
back with a vengeance--in its typical rounded form--right after that.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a *particular* controlling
function at work here.  That is, POV-Ray seems to treat each of the three
functions "equally," so that the final result is a blending of all
three...but only where all three functions happen to coincide in space. At
least, that's what I see from the purely visual evidence.

The stretched-out nature of the noise is the result of TWO things, it seems:
 the "curling function" that I added to it; and the curled triangle waves
themselves. I had originally assumed that ONLY the curling
function-added-to-noise was responsible.

Another little thought struck me: Fading in even smaller-scale noise--but
only out at the extreme tips--to further break up the noise that's already
there  Might add a bit more realism.

Ken

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: