POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Blurred Metal Reflection Test - ala Nemesis : Re: Blurred Metal Reflection Test - ala Nemesis Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:17:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blurred Metal Reflection Test - ala Nemesis
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 27 Nov 2006 15:00:01
Message: <web.456b430c140d3ac385de7b680@news.povray.org>
"Sven Littkowski" <sven [] jamaica-focus [] com> wrote:
> Nice try, Billy Boy!
>
> The only thing I would suggest to change, is the reflection itself. At the
> current version, it looks like the underground is one big part only printed
> in different colors - the reflection continues from tile to tile.
>
> But if these are supposed to be real tiles, the bumpy reflection should have
> its own pattern for each tile. Means, you do not create a checker ground and
> add that nice bumpy surface, but you create many flat boxes besides each
> other each with its bumpy reflection. Important is, that the individual
> bumpy reflections stop at the borders of each tile, and continue in a
> different manner with the next tile.

If a surface normal is sufficient for his purposes, then a matrix of boxes
is unnecessary.  Discontinuous bump patterns can be effected with a 4-part
tiled texture, which can be built up with checker and gradient.  As long as
no adjacent tiles carry the same sub-texture, the continuity won't be
evident.