POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bullseye : Re: Bullseye Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:35:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bullseye
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 27 Nov 2006 14:30:00
Message: <web.456b3a807599967485de7b680@news.povray.org>
Jellby <me### [at] privacynet> wrote:
> Is this really called "bullseye" in English? It is in Spanish, but in
> English I thought that was the center of a target for darts...

It means either the center of the target, or the pattern of concentric rings
painted around it.  It can also refer to any metaphorical target, for
example, Tek getting his boat *exactly* right; or the K-type subgiant star
Alpha Tauri, also called Aldebaran, which rises in the evening at this time
of year, right behind the Pleiades.

But if you say "bullseye" in French ("oeil-de-boeuf"), then it means a round
window in English.  At least that's what my (American) English-language
dictionary says.  Don't expect any Parisian to recognize the phrase after
we butcher it, though.

English is like that. :-p