POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : artistic water final - IRTC WIP : Re: artistic water final - IRTC WIP Server Time
7 Aug 2024 00:23:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: artistic water final - IRTC WIP
From: Stephen
Date: 17 Nov 2006 04:10:00
Message: <web.455d7bca7adb74e7f1cb1e660@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:

> But yes, the portrayal of water might be a fascinating subplot to the
> history of art, but I have never come across such a treatment.  I wonder
> what Gombrich might have said about it.

I saw a video by Neil MacGregor, then the director of the National Gallery,
where he discussed this briefly. IIRC water was a difficult subject before
the use of oils. When tempera was used artists could not get the
transparency needed. Maybe water is too dificult to paint to have much of a
history.

matchstick men)

Stephen