POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : artistic water final - IRTC WIP : Re: artistic water final - IRTC WIP Server Time
7 Aug 2024 00:21:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: artistic water final - IRTC WIP
From: Kenneth
Date: 17 Nov 2006 01:45:01
Message: <web.455d57fe7adb74e76135df7c0@news.povray.org>
"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote:

> ...but foam shouldn't be able to have sharp edges.
>
> I can't really think of a way to smooth off ridges in a ridged fractal, so
> I'll just try to cover it up with some mist/spray effects!

I'm just enthralled with your water.  It is *so* inspiring, and presents (to
me) a *new level* of the power of POV-Ray.

I've been doing a great deal of isosurface experimentation lately, learning
lots of new things, and there might be a way to alter those crests. The idea
involves "fading" one isosurface function into another, over a certain
distance.

What I'm thinking is this:
Fading in an f_noise3d function in the +y-direction, somewhere near the top
of the crests--to actually break them up with "bits" of tiny noise blobs, to
simulate spray. I *think* (but am not sure) that your water-wave function(s)
could be used IN the noise function, to actually vary the height at which
the noise comes into play (so that the noise doesn't just show up at a set
y-height.) I've gotten this trick to work on some isosurfaces of my
own...though not of the complexity of your waves.

My ideas are a bit tricky mathematically...and difficult to explain...but I
now have a methodology of sorts that seems to work, and that "makes sense"
to me.

I'll definitely take a look at your code--which I'm absolutely overjoyed
that you've posted--and see if I can do what I've mentioned. If successful,
I'll post an image.

Meanwhile, I'll work up a simple --VERY simple!--demonstration code example
(or two) and post it here.

Ken W.