POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Random placement : Re: Random placement Server Time
6 Aug 2024 17:00:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random placement
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 16 Nov 2006 19:15:00
Message: <web.455cfe1417d9b1b2113e81f30@news.povray.org>
"dlm" <me### [at] addressinvalid> wrote:
> That's just what I had in mind for a much earlier greeble thread.
> If you can do that you have what it takes to simulate a cell surface.
That did occur to me actually, although I had very different plans for this
originally. I'll tidy it up and see how fast I can get it. Then you can do
with it what you will!

> I look forward to the collision detection. Will it work with arbirary
> geometries?
That was my intention. It works with trace(), in all directions from a point
at the moment (test object here is a sphere), but it should be easy to adapt
it to different arrangements. Orientation of bits is based on local test
object surface normal, so wahey. It's not terribly clever; basically I'm
storing bit size and location in arrays as I go along and testing against
each previous bit to either create randomly sized bits or fill a gap
between bits. Can get time-consuming. However, for greebling polygonal
surfaces it could be pretty quick.

> Good stuff!
I thankyou.

BIll