POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Corrosion : Re: Corrosion Server Time
6 Aug 2024 17:02:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Corrosion
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 16 Nov 2006 15:10:01
Message: <web.455cc47ded830b83c150d4c10@news.povray.org>
Samuel Benge <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Looks very good..... it would be nice to see this surface used in a
> "real-life" scene.
>
> Are the macros used your own? Did you import the original mesh? Id like
> to see this kind of deformation implemented into the official release of
> POV.
>
> ~Sam

Thanks!

The macros are my own.  The lighting is an HDRI-based lighting macro I've
been fiddling with for ages (and still promise to post at some point when
I'm thoroughly satisfied).  The mesh is generated internally by SDL. It
specifically is made to generate a torus.  Each point position is
calculated (depending on the determined mesh size) as well as the surface
normal for the undeformed point.  The point is them deformed in the
direction of the surface normal based on a deformation function (granite
was used here).  New surface normals are then recalculated based on the new
point location and the points in it's immediate proximity (i.e. four points:
up, down, right and left) to give a fairly good and smooth result.  Code for
the mesh will be posted soon.

I don't think it can be implemented in POV very easily as it is simply based
on mesh points whereas POV primitives are not meshes (except meshes of
course) and it also relies on the mesh being subdivided quite fine to get
decent results that aren't noticeably 'blocky'.

-tgq