POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : water again (did I say final? lol) : Re: water again (did I say final? lol) Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: water again (did I say final? lol)
From: Stephen
Date: 16 Nov 2006 08:50:00
Message: <web.455c6b93e4e3b873f1cb1e660@news.povray.org>
"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote:
> Really? Every time I've seen things underwater in the ocean it's been very
> hard to see any kind of distance.

It depends where you are looking from. If you are close to shore the
turbulence stirs up a lot of sand and cuts down the visibility. If you are
offshore in deep water the sea is clearer. Also if you are higher that a
few yards above the surface you get better visibility through the top layer
of water. I spent about sixteen years working on oilrigs and can say that
your latest images are quire realistic. One other thing, some rust marks
would not go amiss on your ship :-) The rust stains would come from the
bilge pumps even on a fibreglass hull.

> Anyway, here's a less transparent version, discuss :)

Although waves are said to be fractal and it is difficult to get a sense of
scale from them the foam defines the scale for me. I would say that these
waves are no more that two meters high. (The lifebelt reinforces this) This
jars with the scale of ship, to my eyes. You know RL often does not measure
up to our imagination -)
Can you change the ship for a yacht? (Shakes both hands in a Tommy Cooper

deserves the best.