POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Glass problem : Re: Glass problem Server Time
6 Aug 2024 17:00:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glass problem
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 15 Nov 2006 14:15:01
Message: <web.455b66e669412694c150d4c10@news.povray.org>
"JSR" <jsr### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a problem when I render a glass material. I set up the "pigment" and
> "finish" sections with typical values for glass (see values in attached
> image).
> My object is a "union" of "mesh2" with polygons of 4 vectors each one, see
> image for code sample of one of these "mesh2". I prefeer not to use
> photons.
> Any suggestions?
> Thks,
>
> JSR.

Do your glass walls have 2 surfaces each? When dealing with refraction, a
ray passes through a surface and with an ior and assumes itself to be
'inside' that material until it passes through another surface, therefore
glass or transparent objects need to have an actual thickness to appear
properly.   The refraction distortion on your glass appears as if this is
the case.  Where it passes through the 2 sides of the glass (i.e., the
bottom part of the bowl) it seems to be solid glass.

-tgq