POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : glossy metallic reflection : Re: glossy metallic reflection Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:27:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: glossy metallic reflection
From: nemesis
Date: 7 Nov 2006 13:50:00
Message: <web.4550d451b8175aeef2ff13290@news.povray.org>
"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote:
> Your random rotation might give an even better result if you use rotate
> <pow(rand(S),2)*90,rand(S)*360,0> to more evenly spread the randomly rotated
> wood patterns,

yeah, i just added some random thoughtless rotation, didn't even play with
it.  I'll try that some time from now.

> But I have one important question: *why* does the wood pattern look good?

beats me!  As i said, i just wanted to create lines in the surface,
emulating scratches from brushed metal.  That's all.  I first tried
gradient, but as a normal, gradient sucks.  Then i hit wood and it looked
good. :)

In the meantime, here's a clearer version, by using +A0.0 and
m_metal_glossy( .04, 1*3 )

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'glossy_mine_polished.jpg' (37 KB)

Preview of image 'glossy_mine_polished.jpg'
glossy_mine_polished.jpg