POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tree, Modeled within POV : Re: Tree, Modeled within POV Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:29:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tree, Modeled within POV
From: Kenneth
Date: 27 Oct 2006 16:00:00
Message: <web.454263e6de2c77c44543322c0@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlnet> wrote:
 soon.

> I am curious about this: Isn't your render time very slow for an isosurface
> tree? And what about planting a forest with them?

Yes, my current tree renders quite slowly. Interestingly, it gets slower the
more functions I add to it (regardless of the max_gradient value.)  I
suppose there's a good mathematical reason for that(?)

I haven't yet tried #declare-ing the tree and using it multiple times--to
see if the render time stays the same, or if it increases by the number of
trees. I don't think it would increase by a great deal. I have a vague
impression (based on different experiments that I've done over time) that
an isosurface is *somehow* converted to a triangle mesh during
rendering--but that's just a wild conjecture.  Anybody know the answer?

Ken