POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : indoor lighting (radiosity) : Re: indoor lighting (radiosity) Server Time
6 Aug 2024 17:01:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: indoor lighting (radiosity)
From: Smws
Date: 24 Oct 2006 23:30:01
Message: <web.453ed99e3cae5eb8da53d9e40@news.povray.org>
"JSR" <jsr### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm new to this newsgroup. I'm very interested in learning indoor lighting
> and rendering using lights and radiosity. I have been working with POV for
> a long, but I can't render images with impressive lighting like these:
> http://www.pacificommultimedia.com/architecture.html
> http://www.artvps.com/gallery/1/architecture.htm
>
> At the moment, the best image I rendered is this. I think that it is not
> very bad, but seems a little dark. If the brightness parameter is
> incremented then the image is burn.
> Suggestions are well received.
> Thanks,
>
> jsr.

I have to say I like your image a lot, but perhaps you didn't want light
from an overcast day?

I don't have any direct experience, but some of my favorite POV interiors
are by Jaime Vives Piqueres, like the ones here:
http://www.ignorancia.org/en/index.php?page=Modern_interior
Especially this one:
http://www.ignorancia.org/uploads/images/modern_interior/wips/interior2-060819-1.jpg

I think Jaime manages to get bright daylight without the image blooming and
losing color definition. My (limited) understanding is that for the lights
in some images he uses several sources: large area_lights on each
window/outside door, to simulate the diffuse light from the sky and
environment, and one brighter light at the sun-position for the actual
sunshadows. This gives better results than the pure sunlight+radiosity that
is perhaps closer to reality, IMO. Of course he also gets good fading
distance and light values from his LightsysIV light simulation system.

(If any of this is wrong, sorry, some is just speculation.)

Good luck- you have a nice interior to experiment with!

-Stefan Sittler