POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Povray crashes : Re: Povray crashes Server Time
8 May 2024 17:21:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray crashes
From: Allan
Date: 24 Oct 2006 22:55:00
Message: <web.453ed113b2080fe2387a47510@news.povray.org>

>Then you clearly have insufficient experience. Try Google if you seriously
>want specifics on the many gcc performance problems. The gcc mailing lists
>are a good resource, too.

Could you please be a just a little bit more condescending?  I am not sure
if you are really trying to piss me off or are just flaunting your vast
knowledge of everything and anything.  While I do not claim to have a PHd
in anything, I do know a thing or two about computers having been
programming on the beasts since 1972.  Plus, I have a number of
acquaintances, one who is a systems engineer at Craig and the other
formally of Pixar, who are fairly knowledgeable about gcc and they both
laughed when I told them what you said about gcc.  Basicaly, unless you are
simulating atomic bomb blasts or running climate models, gcc is plenty fine
enough for ray tracing.  (Take a look at MegaPOV on an intel Mac: it beats
the pants off of the G5 running PPC POV-ray any day.)

>> to the "rushed and incomplete port" of OS X to the intel architecture:
>> where have you been hiding the last few years?  OS X has been running on
>> intel processors since version 10.0.

>This claim is complete nonsense: Mac OS X has not been available on x86
>processors until last year (in beta versions on a single system
>configuration). I suppose you are confusing Mac OS X with the Mach kernel,
>which indeed has been running on x86 processors for decades now.

Fact: Apple has been running OS X on intel processors since the inception of
OS X.  Just look at the frigin 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, etc, source code!  Do
you think they were coding #ifdef i386 for practice?   Yes, indeed, they did
release OS X for intel just last year but it was hardly "rushed and
incomplete", it was just the right time to release it.  The G5 was the top
of the line for PPC and they were not going to milk any more speed or
dollars out of it.  Along comes intel dual core and now they have something
faster and better than the G5.

>To understand the difference between a rushed introduction and a planned
>introduction, compare the current mess with the 68K to PowerPC transition:

Considering the GUI interface on POV-ray for the Mac, what you need to
understand is this: forget Code Warrior, Code Warrior is dead, dead, dead.
Long live XCode.  Code Warrior can RIP for all we Mac programmers care.
Take a few hours to learn Objective-C and Interface Builder and put a
decent front-end on the POV-ray C code and build a universal app for PPC
and intel.

I have said enough on this thread and will not be posting to it any more.

-Allan